Well, I would hope none of that would be allowed.
Well, I would hope none of that would be allowed.
[img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k102/ETWNAPPEL/calgraphic.gif?t=1238543058[/img]
Personally, I think uniforms should be worn, then you have no problem with kids comparing their clothes. Whats wrong with tucking your shirt, looks neat, when you go out the door in the evening pull it out if you like, school is for learning. Bring back the paddle, we need more discipline in schools, because its not happening in most homes. Yeah, let you young fellows get tanned like we did, i once got paddled in my jock by coach Maddox, talk about stinging.
Since they are going to be that strict then they should furnish uniforms. I see mor kids coming across the line to Gate City now! (Before an uproar comes up over that post I am only kidding!) But seriously that is awful! IO can see the dress code like Trumpet says about PV but DB is crazy! Guess since they think they're better than everyone then they need to dress like it! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
If they're going that far, they may as well institute a uniform rule.
Good luck in finding any shorts for a girl that make it to the knee, much less the bottom of her ass cheeks.
[IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]
Exactly what I said.
Anyway, they don't need to make a rule to where you absolutely NEED to tuck your shirt in.
Clothes can give an idea of what somebody is like. There should be an appropriate way of showing what you're like.
Yes. School is for learning. They should enforce their dress code more. Not saying they didn't. Don't hide who you are. Express yourself in an orderly manner.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Your right Titan. And so is Union Man
Honestly what is wrong with just dressing decent. It use to be a thing that worked. And honestly Union Man said it. Guy and gals today don't care what they dress in, well most don't.
And in the real world where your required to wear uniforms, well your also required to dress decent. If not most will get called in and talk to. So better learn it now. Cause most supervisors won't tell you to many times. I don't tell those who work under me. I expect them to dress as we are suspose to. If they don't according to our rules, you get one verbal warning, one written notice, and then you can be dismissed.
I mean who wants to see a young girls thong hanging out. or half way up her back, or some boys underwear, where his pants is about to fall off him? Honestly it ain't that great to look at, then the same people take offense when someone says something about them?
Ole saying use to be if you run with ducks, sooner or later well you will learn to quack. Same with a lot of things.
I've seen some and i wondered, and they wonder why people talk? When your 3/4 naked and well most things can still be seen, why wear anything?
I think a little going back to a thing called discipline and respect and manners would help a lot.
Don't see it happening and i blame parents for that. But just my thoughts on it.
I guess the only part I dont like is the tuck your shirt in part. I never was one to tuck mine in. Even dress shirts when I go to church. Seems like everytime I try to tuck in the back always finds a way to come out. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
By CARMEN MUSICK
Times-News
KINGSPORT - Margaret Gall says she thought students, including her own daughters, were just overreacting when they started to complain that they'd have to go out and shop for all new clothes in order to comply with the revised Dobyns-Bennett dress code.
But, after seeing the dress code and going through her two daughters' closets, back-to-school shopping is starting to look a little more menacing to her.
"I just didn't worry about it too much. I didn't think a lot of it. It really is more of an issue than I thought it would be," Gall said. "I never thought in a million years that it would be as restrictive as it is."
Gall she just can't believe students can't wear sports apparel - be it a Duke sweatshirt or a UT T-shirt or whatever.
"I never thought for a minute that they wouldn't be able to wear things like that," she said. "Now that we know, it's hitting me that we are going to have to buy more clothes - especially shirts."
Kristen Gall, a senior, only has to live with the revised dress code for a year. And while she knew it was coming, she says she didn't expect it to be as bad as it is - and thinks most students will take issue with some parts of it.
Emily Gall, a rising freshman, is just getting started at D-B and thinks the new code is a bit much.
"The first thing I had a problem with was they had so many requirements that a lot of people are going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe," said Emily Gall.
"I went through my clothes, and I didn't have very many that fit the requirements," she said.
Crew neck tees and sweatshirts that live up to the requirements for covering their bodies - shirts must have a collar or crew neckline that exposes no more than the collar bone - generally fail in the "no writing" category.
That alone, a half dozen D-B students said Thursday, will require them to purchase new shirts for school next year.
"I wear T-shirts, which of course have things on them. If I wear some other kind of shirt, it usually has a logo on it. I have two shirts with logos on the sleeves that are smaller than quarters, but the main logo is not," said rising junior Erika Snapp.
Another big problem with the revised dress code, from the students' perspective, is the requirement that all shirts be tucked in.
"I don't like to tuck in my shirt, and I like my cargos," said rising senior Ross Ladley, referring to the change banning cargo shorts and cargo pants at D-B next fall.
"I'll live with it, but I'll complain a lot," Ladley said.
Another major issues for students, and some parents, is having to wear a belt with all pants and shorts that have belt loops.
"There's already something about sagging on there. If you're not sagging, there's no need to require belts," Emily Gall said.
Snapp, however, doesn't disagree with the new belt rule.
"People have to wear belts so I don't see what I don't want to see," she said.
The code also does away with hoodies - the popular hooded shirts and tees - and sweatpants.
"I wear hoodies all the time. I usually wear it throughout the day and carry it with me," Snapp said.
In fact, the D-B softball team of which she is a member ordered special hooded sweatshirts and sweatpants, neither of which will be allowed under the new dress code without prior approval.
"All my girls wear jackets and sweatshirts because they get cold," Margaret Gall said. "Almost everything in their closet has a hood or, if it's a sweatshirt, it has writing on it. So that's going to be an interesting part as well."
According to the revised dress code, all outerwear has to be removed and put in the locker upon arrival at school. That includes, based on the revised code, hooded sweatshirts, which are considered outerwear.
Though they admit finding clothes that meet the dress code will be possible, students don't expect it to be easy.
And a trip to three popular shopping stops - Aeropostale, American Eagle and J.C. Penney's - in the Fort Henry Mall Thursday revealed that, to some degree, they're right.
The clothes are out there, but the choices are limited.
"I think I'm going to be all right with it. I think it's going to be a lot harder for girls," Ladley said. "For girls, I'm sure it's going to be hard to find clothes that are going to tuck in and stay tucked in."
All three stores that the Times-News checked offered shirts for males and females that meet the dress code. But most of the girls' shirts are short, falling just at the waistline, with very short cap sleeves.
Boys definitely appeared to have more choices, with a wide range of button-up camp shirts, polo-style shirts and tees available. Shorts for girls, however, don't even come close to meeting the knee-length requirement. And boys may have to search to find something besides cargo shorts on local store shelves.
The good news for girls, store officials pointed out, is that longer skirts are making a comeback. And capri pants are readily available in a variety of colors.
Jeans that aren't distressed and shirts without graphics and writing are a little harder to find, although all three stores carry tees and polo-style shirts with logos smaller than a quarter.
In addition, store clerks at both Aeropostale and American Eagle said they had already contacted their district offices with the new requirements so that they could try to stock items that meet the revised code.
"That's great. I hope the community will support us like that," said D-B Principal Earl Lovelace.
The Galls travel during the summer and hope they'll be able to find a wider variety of clothes that fit the dress code in other areas of the country, Margaret Gall said. One thing is certain: They won't put off looking.
"We will definitely be starting that process a little earlier because you have to make sure you can find enough," she said.
Sounds like some rich kids just fussin cause they didnt' get their way. American Eagle and Aeropostle? Not cheap ya know.
Well go back and read what i posted. I think it's time parents and teachers take this country back. If someone don't, dang don't look good down the road.
Parents can't cause they have to be friends? And can't be parents cause well kids will call Social Services.
Real world. When your boss calls you in and says have you read our personnel policy. And you say yes. And he says well comply and this is your first verbal warning. I think most will wish someone taught them something before they got there.
I think the dress code is too strict. If they are going to be so specific, then I think the school should supply the uniforms to each student!
I hated the high school dress code. I stand about 5'10"... so say a girl who is 5'2" buys the same pair of shorts as me... of course she'll be able to wear them, but they'll be too short for me to wear to school. I think that rule should go by the length og the inseam of the shorts...
thankfully I don't have to worry about that in college... but it always was a sore spot for me in high school!
Bookmarks